Monday 9 September 2019

Challenge #329 - week of 9th September 2019

Welcome back to this week at Whimsical Musings. How is your September going so far? 

This week, I'm going in a direction that some of you might find a little strange and you may not really know how to take it but bear with me!

I'd like you to be inspired by kitsch.

Now, there are different ways to understand this word and when I use it, I tend to mean fun or nonsense, something that isn't serious, a little over-colourful perhaps or on the edge of good taste. It's something that I love to have but that is maybe not really considered "stylish". It can also be used in all sorts of negative ways but I don't want to go in that direction. I want you to take it as meaning a little over the top, somewhat silly or childish, something that you love even though you know it doesn't belong in the pages of Vogue, something from the past that's a little dated perhaps with clashing colours, somewhat 1970s maybe, something that might be a bit "cheap" but that you love all the same! I think you know what I mean!

At this time of the year, I find myself thinking of how autumn is on its way, full of beautiful jewel colours that don't really feature in my life normally. Reds, oranges and deep chestnuts. Gold starts making an appearance in my home or table decoration - too much and I think it all looks a bit kitsch but that is sometimes the look I'm going for! Kitsch doesn't have to be a negative, even if that word has that connection for you. Pretty kitsch might be the Oktoberfest decorations that start appearing now - lots of alpine gingham colours and pretzels! Or the reds and golds that can take you from autumn to the beginning of Advent. Then comes the beginning of the festive season and that's when the "kitsch" might really kick in. You might have Christmas decorations that fall under the "kitsch" category but a little kitsch here and there never hurt anyone, no matter how modern and stylish your home decor style might be!

To give you an example in my own life, this ornament was brought back for me from Singapore. It's the God of Prosperity and is 100% plastic and 150% kitschy (in my definition). It nods away all day run by a little solar panel and I totally adore it! It's here in my room where I can see it whenever I'm blogging, working or creating and it makes me smile every time. It deserves a place in my albums as you can see!


Or how about my love of the Christmas cracker paper hat - total kitsch in my book and another little corner of my album!


Now I'm sure there is some example in your own life where there's a hint of kitsch that you could record this week. And what about the fact that our scrapping is sometimes a little more colourful than you might have in your real life or covered with bits and pieces, stickers, flowers or decorations that could be considered a little on the kitsch side - time to play perhaps!


Whichever way you decide to go, I really hope you'll share. It would be great to see what you make.  You can connect with us in our Facebook group here. Tag your entry with #WMXX so we know exactly which inspiration you've taken.


Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Adore the smiling buddha guy! You've got me pining for lots of the bits I lived with in my last home & studio... I'll have to take a peek around to see what survived the purge. Perhaps I'll free some things from boxes in the basement!

    ReplyDelete

We <3 comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...